Propane is a safe and convenient fuel when used with the care and attention it deserves. Propane is a colourless and odourless gas that is not itself toxic. A smell is added to propane so you can detect a leak by a strong, distinct odour like rotten eggs or boiling cabbage. Leaking propane is heavier than air and will flow to low-lying areas.
Should a propane leak occur, the build-up of propane gas can become dangerous. If you suspect a leak, turn off the supply of propane at the cylinder and leave the area immediately. Do not turn light switches or flashlights on or off, or operate phones. Once you are well away from the area, phone your service supplier. If you suspect your gas barbecue is leaking or smell an odour, shut off the cylinder and do not light the grill.
Propane appliances, like any other gas appliances, can produce carbon monoxide if not properly maintained or if there is insufficient ventilation. Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas. If you are exposed to carbon monoxide, you may experience any or all of these symptoms:
If any of these symptoms should develop, get into fresh air immediately, see your doctor for treatment and have your propane appliances checked and repaired as needed.
Safety Data Sheets